Hatch Chili Recipe:
- 25 fresh Anaheim green chiles (mix them for added heat)
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) butter or margarine, plus more for sauteing pork
- 3 pounds pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large white onions, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 tablespoons ground dry mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 6 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup flour
Roast the chilis and chop into 1/4-inch pieces.
Heat some butter in a large pot and add the cubed pork. Cook about 15 minutes, and then add the onions and spices.
Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally. When the pork has cooked through, add the fresh tomatoes. Stir occasionally.
After 5 minutes, add 8 cups water. Bring to a low boil. Stir occasionally. Increase the heat and bring the chili to a rolling or high boil. In separate pan, melt the butter or margarine and whisk in the flour, stirring until creamy.
Slowly add the roux to the chili, stirring constantly, and shut off the heat. Continue to stir so that the roux is evenly distributed.
(Roux amount can be adjusted depending on desired consistency or thickness.)
Let stand 5 minutes and serve in a bowl or smothered!
Dreamscapes Landscape Center
6100 E. 104th Ave.
Northglenn, CO 80233
Telephone: 303-288-8877 • Fax: 303-288-8855